Monday, August 29, 2011

Visit to Grandma Ella

For our family vacation at the end of July we flew from Indy to Portland Oregon to visit Hiram's Grandma Ella. She is a very sweet lady and Hiram wishes we could go much more often to see her. Hiram spent most of his time there with her while the boys and I came for shorter visits. In between visits we stayed with Hiram's uncle Jim. We had fun playing in his backyard and even saw a momma and baby dear. Oregon is very beautiful and I reminded myself often that it was also the land of my parents youth. They weren't in Portland but weren't far away in Washington state.

The trip was priceless and every moment was cherished. We love Grandma Ella and were well aware it would likely be the last time we see her alive. What a blessing it is to have a knowledge that someday we will see her again and be able to stand with her with perfected bodies and without pain or ailments. What we will miss most in the meantime will be her attitude toward life. Hiram asked her how she would like to be remember and she handed him this poem





TODAY
Outside my window, a new day I see
and only I can determine what kind of day it will be
It can be busy and sunny, laughing and gay,
or boring and cold, unhappy and gray.
My own state of mind is the determining key,
for I am the only person I let myself be.
I can be thoughtful and do all I can to help,
or be selfish and think just of myself.
I can enjoy what I do and make it seem fun,
or gripe and complain and make it hard on someone.
I can be patient with those who may not understand,
or belittle and hurt them as much as I can.
But I have faith in myself and believe what I say,
and I personally intend to make the best of each day.












We hope to live our lives with at least a portion of the love, work ethic, and optimism Grandma Ella has. We love you Grandma.

No comments: